Join Our Board of Directors
Move Minnesota is looking for people with positivity and a passion for our mission to join our board of directors!
Why join? Board members make a difference at Move Minnesota. Our board of directors guides our strategic direction and our long-term sustainability. Their leadership helps ensure our vision and values and our commitment to equity are lived out in daily work.
We value a broad range of personal and professional backgrounds on our board. We encourage frequent transit users, people of color, cultural community leaders, individuals with fundraising capacity, and/or individuals with low income to apply. Board members work collaboratively with other members, the executive director, the staff leadership team, and the staff fundraising team. They are expected to contribute in ways that match their interests, abilities, talents, and connections. You can learn more about board member responsibilities below.
Interested? Please email Sam Rockwell at email@example.com.
Responsibilities of board members include:
- Act in the spirit of the Move Minnesota vision, mission, and values.
- Together with other board members, steward strong governance:
- Set goals and long-term organizational strategies
- Oversee the performance of the Executive Director
- Ensure the Executive Director has measures in place to maintain legal and financial compliance
- Ensure that the organization maintains and complies with fair and equitable workplace policies
- Meet commitments to staff and constituents
- Participate in succession planning by recruiting new board members, providing for a Board that remains healthy and regenerative
- Contribute to board work:
- Prepare for each board meeting
- Attend board meetings absent irreconcilable conflict, and actively contribute their knowledge and views in an honest and mutually respectful manner
- Disclose any potential or actual conflict of interest and, where appropriate, avoid participating in considering or voting on a matter
- Serve on a board committee, adhering to the same values listed above
- Support achieving organizational goals:
- Maintain knowledge of current Move Minnesota programs
- Be accessible to staff, respond in a timely way to staff requests, and serve as a resource to staff members in areas where the member has knowledge or expertise
- Serve as a liaison between the organization and other organizations and constituencies to which the member has personal or professional connections and invite acquaintances and contacts to two or more events each year
- Participate in one or more public-facing organizational activities each year, such as:
- Represent the organization to the public, legislative and policymaking bodies, media, and/or stakeholder groups as appropriate
- Volunteer at an event (speaking, tabling, networking at a non-board fundraiser, e.g.)
- Serve as an organizational representative on an advisory committee
- Participate in a volunteer committee
- Door knock or phone bank with the Action subsidiary
- Write a letter to the editor
- Steward organizational financial health:
- Contribute financially to Move Minnesota, at a level that is significant to the member
- Thoughtfully leverage personal and/or professional connections to further the organization’s fundraising goals
- Develop and maintain a basic understanding of nonprofit financials, and use that knowledge to maintain fiduciary responsibility (the duty of care, the duty of loyalty, and the duty of obedience)
Positivity and passion for the Move Minnesota mission are the most important keys to success in this role.
The time commitment for membership is approximately 6 hours per month on board, committee, and fundraising related duties. Members should expect to spend their time on the following each month:
- Preparing for and attending bi-monthly board meetings (1.5 hours)
- Communicating with board members and staff (0.5 hours)
- Participating in committee and fundraising efforts (2 hours)
- Reporting progress to the Board President (0.5 hours)
- Completing specific tasks and work areas as assigned (1-2 hours)
Board members serve 2-year terms.
Please note that full meetings of the board of directors typically occur on the second Wednesday of the month, 4-6 PM, every other month. If you are unable to regularly attend meetings at these times, we ask you to consider service on a committee or task force instead.
Move Minnesota will reimburse board members for expenses (e.g. travel or childcare) if those expenses are a barrier to board participation.
If you are interested in joining our board, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.