We’re Hiring: Communications Coordinator
Join our team at Move Minnesota!
Open Position: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Communications & Organizing
Job Type: Full-time, 40 hours per week, non-exempt.
Salary & Compensation: $44,000-$50,000 annual salary. Competitive benefits package includes health and dental insurance, HSA or FSA savings plan, retirement plan, paid time off, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, bus pass and commuter benefits, and flexible work environment.
Move Minnesota is a leader in the movement for an equitable and sustainable transportation system that puts people first. We are passionate about connecting communities, ending the climate crisis, expanding access to jobs and resources, and improving daily life for Minnesotans of all ages, races, incomes, and abilities. We connect people to transit where the system works well, and fight hard to ensure it works for everyone.
Move Minnesota is based in Saint Paul, MN. Our team is collaborative, hard-working, mission-driven, and fun. We create change through advocacy, organizing, coalition building, policy leadership, and education. We work alongside over 10,000 supporters behind the scenes and on the ground, creating change and helping Minnesotans tell the stories of how transportation choices impact their lives and the future of our region.
Move Minnesota’s team currently works in person from our office two partial days per week to foster staff-wide connection and collaboration. Remaining work is done remotely, during optional office hours, or out in the community. All Move Minnesota employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Embedding equity in organizational practices is a core value at our organization. Move Minnesota works to offer culturally inclusive services, materials, resources, and programs. We value the strengths offered through different backgrounds and perspectives. Move Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Move Minnesota is seeking a Communications Coordinator who will connect people with our work to create a more just, joyful, and sustainable future through transit, bicycling, walking, and rolling. The Communications Coordinator will work collaboratively to implement communications strategies that help Move Minnesota achieve near-term goals with an eye to bigger picture movement-building and transformative change. Writing and editing compelling copy for different audiences is a big part of the role. This staff member develops and shares a variety of communications, from mass emails and action alerts, blogs, graphics, and social media to photo and video projects, and printed materials. They play a key role in helping Move Minnesota build awareness and engagement, mobilize our advocates and volunteers on state and local issues, and ensure supporters know how our collective actions are making a difference for our climate and communities. The ideal candidate will be creative and detail-oriented, self-motivated, and have strong writing, editing, and design skills.
This position will report to and work in close partnership with our Director of Communications & Organizing and will coordinate regularly across staff and project teams to meet organizational needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works collaboratively to develop and distribute content for mass emails, blogs, social media, photo and video projects, and print communications.
- Writes, produces, and shares online actions, action alert emails, phone scripts, and text alerts to build and mobilize an active grassroots base of supporters and influence decision-makers.
- Coordinates grassroots storytelling aligned to campaigns and initiatives, amplifying personal experiences to advance narrative change and policy change.
- Serves as the primary communications contact for several organizational initiatives with support and guidance from the Director of Communications & Organizing.
- Creates engaging, branded graphics and collateral.
- Posts events, actions, and updates to organizational websites and supports website maintenance.
- Assists with media outreach and inquiries. Tracks media mentions.
- Amplifies key intersectional issues and values at the core of Move Minnesota’s work, particularly among transit, racial justice, social justice, and climate change.
- Helps to integrate strategic messaging into organizational events, materials, and initiatives.
- Manages queries and mailing lists for digital and print communications.
- Records and updates information in the communications database as needed. Tracks metrics for websites, email, and social media.
- In collaboration with staff and stakeholders, advances the organization’s continued work to integrate racial justice frameworks into its internal operations and external programming.
- Carries out other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Director of Communications & Organizing.
- Adheres to organizational values: equity, integrity, elevating voices, excellence, transparency, and stewardship.
- Highly motivated to create positive change through communications work. Excited to build an active grassroots movement for just and sustainable transportation.
- 2+ years of communications experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, and graphic design skills. Adept at creating compelling people-centered and values-centered messaging and content.
- Able to work proactively and also to respond and adapt quickly to external shifts in opportunities and timelines to maximize impact.
- Strong attention to detail and project deadlines. Able to successfully manage assignments across multiple initiatives concurrently.
- Able to think strategically, tailor communications to various audiences, and to work in a growth-mindset environment focused on experimentation and learning.
- Enjoys contributing to a collaborative team environment.
- Experienced and proficient with digital platforms.
- Committed to racial justice, social justice, and climate action.
- Basic knowledge of transit, walking, biking, and rolling as modes of transportation, and sensitivity to the way transportation issues affect people’s lives and communities.
- Skills with Adobe Creative Suite, photography, and/or video production.
- Demonstrated success building and activating target audiences.
- Experience producing communications for an organization or campaign focused on advocacy, politics, or social change.
- Understanding of the role of narrative in creating systems change.
- Experience using WordPress, databases, and mass email tools.
This position is housed at the Move Minnesota office in Saint Paul, Minnesota. We’re one block from the METRO Green Line’s Raymond Station and easy to reach on Metro Transit bus routes 16, 63, 67, and 87. Indoor bike parking and a private changing room are available. The building where our office is located has one floor (no stairs) and multi-stall restrooms.
As noted above, Move Minnesota’s team currently works in person from our office two partial days per week to foster staff-wide connection and collaboration. Remaining work is done remotely, during optional office hours, or out in the community. All Move Minnesota employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Submit your cover letter, resume, and 2 samples of your work to email@example.com. Please include “Communications Coordinator Search” in the subject line of your email application. Applications are currently being reviewed on a rolling basis.