UPDATE: This position has been filled. Thanks to all who applied and shared this opportunity.
Join our team at Move Minnesota!
OPEN POSITION: Executive Director
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Board of Directors
DIRECT REPORTS: Director of Finance & Administration, Director of Advancement, Field Manager, Program Manager
Move Minnesota leads the movement for an equitable transportation system that puts people first. We create change through advocacy, education, and community engagement. Our vision is to create a Minnesota where our transportation system breaks down barriers, protects our environment, and creates access and choice. We work towards a future where our families are healthy, our neighborhoods are thriving, and everyone can reach the important places in their lives. A Minnesota that feels connected, because it is.
We work alongside over 10,000 supporters behind the scenes and on the ground, helping Minnesotans tell the stories of how transportation choices impact their lives and the future of our region. Move Minnesota works to empower people in all kinds of ways—from helping individuals advocate at the State Capitol to connecting employers with sustainable transportation options. Our efforts help to expand transit and bicycle networks, improve pedestrian access, and create demand for shared mobility. Our current focus is on the MSP metro region, with a statewide vision guiding future growth.
Move Minnesota is based in Saint Paul. Our team is collaborative, hard-working, mission-driven, and fun. We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a flexible work environment. We love inspiring more people to ride transit, bike, walk, and roll in our community. Move Minnesota has a staff of 11, is governed by a Board of Directors of 11 to 15 members, and has an organizational budget of $1 million.
Embedding equity in organizational practices is a core value at our organization. Move Minnesota works to offer culturally inclusive services, materials, resources, and programs. We value the strengths offered through different backgrounds and perspectives. Move Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Move Minnesota is seeking a collaborative and charismatic leader to transform transportation options in Minnesota. The Executive Director provides overall leadership and guidance for all staff of the organization. The Executive Director works with the Board of Directors to set the strategic direction and advance our mission. This position actively cultivates partnerships and alliances that promote the growth and visibility of the organization and serves as its primary spokesperson. This position is actively engaged in the organization’s day to day activities and is responsible for ensuring its financial stability.
Job Type: Full-time, 40 hours per week, exempt.
Salary & Compensation: $88,000 to $98,000. Salary for this position is commensurate with experience and competitive with similar nonprofits. Benefits include: health and dental insurance, retirement plan, paid time off, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, bus pass & commuter benefits, and flexible work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors and staff, develops and implements a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization.
- Actively engages and energizes a strong Board of Directors and cultivates board involvement.
- Leads, coaches, and develops staff to implement annual work plans tied to strategic goals.
- Supports and furthers a positive, collaborative work environment that encourages respect and professional development.
- Builds and strengthens strategic partnerships with funders, partners, and political and community leaders.
- Regularly evaluates and guides programming and initiatives to ensure Move Minnesota is creating meaningful change aligned to our mission, strategic plan, and funded deliverables.
- Serves as the organization’s primary spokesperson to educate people and move them to action.
- Develops and manages organizational budget to ensure Move Minnesota’s financial health and stability.
- Proactively builds relationships with funders, including building visibility for the organization and awareness of how its mission intersects with related issues.
- Leads fundraising activities to support programs and operations through expanding existing funding commitments and actively seeking new funding opportunities.
- Using the organization’s values-based narrative, inspires funders, donors, partners, advocates, and decision-makers to invest in Move Minnesota’s vision for change.
Advocacy, Policy and Programming
- Works to establish Move Minnesota as a recognized thought leader and resource for transportation-related advocacy, public engagement, and education.
- Oversees education programming that connects commuters and employers with sustainable transportation options, and directs innovative behavior change efforts.
- Provides policy leadership for advocacy and community engagement programming, including growing the organization’s policy expertise at local, regional, and state levels.
- Advocates for Move Minnesota’s positions on transportation funding, legislation, policies, and infrastructure.
- Monitors developments in regional and statewide transportation networks and adjusts or launches programming to ensure continuing relevance and impact.
- In collaboration with board and staff, advances the organization’s continued work to integrate racial justice frameworks into its operations and programming.
- Maintains professional affiliations and engages in professional development to keep current in the latest trends in transportation and nonprofit executive leadership.
- Adheres to organizational values: equity, integrity, elevating voices, excellence, transparency, and stewardship.
- Carries out other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Board of Directors.
- Experience in cross-cultural collaboration, including an understanding of how intersectional lived experiences change the way people and systems interact.
- Knowledge of walking, biking, rolling, transit, and shared mobility as modes of transportation, and sensitivity to the way transportation issues affect people’s lives and communities.
- Proven track-record of leading successful teams and contributing to a positive, collaborative work environment.
- Skills and enthusiasm for building relationships with key partners, decision makers, and institutional funders.
- Adept at building consensus around complex issues with a variety of stakeholders.
- Knowledge of transportation policy, planning, and advocacy, and experience working with policymakers.
- Excellent communications and public speaking skills and the ability to inspire confidence and move people to action.
- Experience developing and effectively managing a budget of $1 million or greater.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of leadership-level work experience or 9+ years of leadership-level work experience.
- 5+ years of leadership level work experience in an organization with a focus related to transportation.
- Experience managing grants and overseeing federally funded grant programs.
- Success with and enthusiasm for deepening relationships with individual and major donors, as well as all aspects of the major gifts cycle.
This position is housed at the Move Minnesota office in Saint Paul, Minnesota. We’re one block from the METRO Green Line’s Raymond Ave Station and easy to reach on Metro Transit bus routes 16, 63, 67, and 87. Indoor bike parking and a private changing room are available. The building where our office is located has one floor (no stairs) and multi-stall restrooms.
Submit your cover letter, resume, and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Executive Director Search” in the subject line of your email application.
Include answers to the two questions below in your cover letter.
Answer these questions in your cover letter. Answers should be limited to 250 words per question.
- What is your leadership philosophy and how will it help Move Minnesota advance its mission?
- How can Move Minnesota play a lead role in solving the state’s most critical transportation challenges?
Applications will be reviewed starting August 26, 2019. This position is open until filled.
Post updated 08-01-19 to correctly indicate that this position is classified as exempt.